Tuesday, August 28, 2007

the opposite of wellness

i will preface this post by saying that i really, really like my vet. the place itself is in a location i can actually drive to (big plus), the waiting area and exam rooms are clean (unlike the first place i visited after moving here) and my vet is kind, knowledgeable, patient, and perhaps most importantly, he wears shoes. (the first vet i met after moving her was not kind or patient but the real deal-breaker was that she didn't wear shoes. blech!)

so i bring willy in for his wellness visit and learn (not a huge surprise) that he needs dental work. (he also needs his cataracts fixed but i'm already living paycheck to paycheck here so i'm not guessing that will happen anytime soon.) before i leave i learn that the tech needs to take a little more blood for one of the tests so they take willy back into the back again. and i wait, and wait, and wait. when the tech finally brings him back to me, she says, "well, he's definitely not happy now."

i take the pet taxi back from her and i stand there, smilingly dumbly, thinking this is just another thing they say here, a way of stating the obvious, like "gee pets are never really happy when they have to go to the vet, are they?" but then she is still standing there looking at me so i go "huh?"

tech: part of his toenail came off and it was bleeding but i stopped the bleeding.
me: huh?
tech: it should be okay, but you'll want to keep an eye on it.
me: huh? (looking at willy in the pet taxi. willy looks back at me)
willy: what the f---?
me: huh?
tech: do you cut his nails?
me: huh?
tech: do you cut his back nails?
me: did the whole nail come out? (i start to feel really, really woozy)
tech: no, it just got stuck on something. (she points at the pet taxi)
me: huh?
tech: it got caught. it was bleeding but i stopped it.
me: huh?
tech: do you cut his nails?
me: huh? no.
tech: well, we could do that for you if you want.
me: huh?
willy: what the f---?
tech: (thinking) hmmm. well, maybe he wouldn't really be up to it today but you could come back next week and then we could check the nail and see how it's doing.
me: huh? is it still bleeding? (thinking that if it is i will faint)
tech: no, but you'll want to watch it tonight.
me: watch it for what? (at this point i start wondering if i will find the broken off piece in the taxi and then i start wondering if it is possible for me to faint while driving home)
tech: bleeding.

it's been three hours now and i've been watching him and he seems to be okay. i haven't seen any blood (which is good cause i forgot to ask what to do in that case), haven't come across the broken off piece but willy is refusing to keep his shoes on so i'm guessing that toe might still be a little sore.

No comments: