Thursday, August 23, 2007

that 'splains it



growing up, i recall that my grandfather would routinely have biorhythms done for everyone in the family. growing up, bad, stupid, tired, lazy, cranky, etc. days were often explained with "oh, my biorhythms must be low." (actually, i still explain away bad days this way.) it didn't occur to me till this morning to wonder where or how he had our charts done, how much he paid, etc. since this all happened way before the internet. over the years, i've thought about biorhythms (again, mainly on bad days)--wondering if anyone still creates them, believes in them, etc.

i don't know that i've ever heard the term used by anyone outside my own family so there have been times when i questioned whether i made the term or even the memory up especially since my grandfather (at least in my memory) was not a person who would ever take seriously the idea of biorhythms. that said, i don't recall that his having our biorhythms done was ever done in the spirit of his poking fun at a new age-y idea.

it was only because i was feeling mildly bothered that the suntimes hadn't posted today's horoscopes when i got up this morning that it even occurred to me to do an online search for biorhythms. i saw my chart and was like, "duh--no wonder. so that explains why it's been really difficult to get much of anything done the past few days." the bad news is that it seems i've still got a few more days of flat-lining ahead of me. rather than fight the uphill battle again today (though in fairness, i had been chugging along with my assessment), i decided that i would spend the day--and we are talking pretty much the whole day--from about 7 am on--sitting on the couch watching tv. i got caught up with weeds, and big love, took a look at one episode of chelsea lately, and then topped that all off with the most excellent linda mccartney story and an ed norton movie called down in the valley.

when i wasn't embracing my rhythms and watching tv, i took many pictures of myself pointing at the cats. willy, as usual, was only mildly interested in this task. io, by contrast, wasn't having any of it and tended to walk out of frame as soon as i got things in focus.

No comments: