Monday, August 20, 2007

slow going


thank goodness i've given myself about a month to compose the self-assessment for my third-year review. it's been really, really slow going. i only managed to draft 285 words today (not that i'm counting) and i'm not even sure these ideas/words will make the final cut. depressing. i'm trying to approach this as i approach writing articles , something i tend to really enjoy: "okay--your goals is to take a pass at drafting this chunk today, tackling that chunk on wednesday, and that piece on friday" and so on. problem is, it's hard to let words remain on screen for long as i find myself too much distracted by the various reception scenarios that play out in my mind. in other words, i put words down only to delete them, reasoning that they aren't right, aren't clear, won't be well-received and so on. to be sure, i think a lot about reception when i'm composing articles but it tends not to shut me down to the degree this has. and article writing--insofar as it feels a lot like puzzle-making/solving--is often fun, and at times, relaxing. this has kinda been the opposite. again, glad i gave myself a month to work this out.

No comments: