Sunday, July 15, 2007

for the week of july 9

I’ve been following the horoscopes that appear in the TV Guide and the Chicago Sun-Times for. . .well, for as long as I can remember. The only birthday ritual I’ve ever maintained has been to check the “if today is your birthday” year-long forecasting feature in the Sun-Times. As an aside: They have been eerily on the mark. And I don’t mean in that overly vague horoscopy way. I remember the year I went on the market the horoscope said that I would meet a new mentor in October and begin exploring new job opportunities in November and December.

When I lived in Champaign the listings in the TV Guide never seemed to match up with what came on in my area, so it seemed pointless to subscribe just for the back page. Instead, I’d check my horoscope while waiting in line at the grocery store. I’d try to make it a point of waiting till the end of a week to check my horoscope to see if they had been right.

My TV Guide horoscope for this past week (their weeks end on Sunday) read as follows: “Forget about sure things this week. Dare to be different and dare to move your life in a brand new direction. Never will there be a better time to reinvent yourself. Never will there be a better time to make your mark. Make it big.”

Hmmm. It was a pretty productive, high energy week. One night I stayed up working on ideas for a new portion of my website till 2 or 3 in the morning and I guess that was pretty different for someone who is usually in bed by 8:30 or 9:00. Having a kitchen table that I can actually sit at now also makes things different. I gotta say that I also spent a lot of time daring to be frustrated as I’m in the process of learning CS2 and Premiere Pro 2. I'm not sure that it's especially daring or different but I decided, today in fact, that my next project will be to create an online portfolio that will feature a series of 3-5 minute videos instead of tons and tons of word docs or pdfs.

I don’t know that my life, generally speaking, moved in a new direction but thanks to Corey the things I photograph and the way I think about photographing things did change. They were kind of reinvented as was my website, my facebook and myspace pages, etc. I also worked pretty hard this week reinventing my relationship with a digital camera that I’ve always hated—that never seemed to work in the ways I’ve wanted it to. So maybe this week's horoscope was not one of those "eerily on the mark" forecasts as was the one some years ago that said that an insurance claim would be settled that week.

No comments: